Residents of Moore County can bring up to five tires for free disposal at the Moore County Landfill.
Scrap Tire Certification
The North Carolina Division of Waste Management administers a comprehensive program to manage scrap tires. This program prevents the illegal dumping of tires by providing an infrastructure to safely collect, store, and recycle scrap tires.
An advance disposal fee is charged when new tires are sold. The proceeds are distributed to each county to pay for the collection and recycling of tires.
Residents can bring up to 5 tires a day to our landfill (free of charge). Rims must be removed.
Businesses can bring tires for free under the certification program if state regulations are followed.
- Haul your own tires? Bring a copy of your current business license, along with your federal tax ID number, to the facility on your first visit.
- You are required to complete and sign a Scrap Tire Certification Form for each load of tires.
- Haul your own tires? Fill out the Generator and Hauler portions of the Form.
- Contract with a hauler? Fill out the Generator portion of the form.
- Contract with a hauler? You must hire a hauler who is registered through the North Carolina Department of the Environment Quality (NCDEQ). A registered hauler will be able to provide you with a copy of his current registration certificate.
- Be prepared to provide state tax reporting/payment records, as well as tire sales/purchase records upon request. Proper documentation is required in order to dispose of your eligible tires at no charge.
Scrap Tire Haulers
- Bring a copy of your current NCDENR scrap tire hauler registration certificate on your first visit to the facility.
- Fill out the Hauler portion of a Scrap Tire Certification Form for each load of tires you bring to the facility. The Generator portion of the form must be completed and signed by the Scrap Tire Generator.
- You must bring a copy of your federal tax ID number for each Scrap Tire Generator whose tires you bring to the facility for disposal.
- Tires not eligible for free disposal will be accepted for disposal along with the required fee.